ASA-Datensatz: 177161: 10.02.1943 HMS Tribune

Begonnen von Platon Alexiades, 19 April 2024, 19:51:49

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Platon Alexiades

Hello,

The target attacked by HMS Tribune at 1230/10 February 1943 was the Italian steamer Cesena (ex-French Mécanicie Moutte, 1,730 GRT, built 1918). She was missed, two torpedoes were observed to explode on the coast.

Platon

TW

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 19 April 2024, 19:51:49the Italian steamer Cesena (ex-French Mécanicie Moutte, 1,730 GRT, built 1918)
Platon

Thank you very much, Platon, for this most valuable fund. I have completed the record NUM 17717 in ASA.
:asa: https://historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/asa/ausgabe.php?where_value=3945.
Is there any Italian publication (or database) appreciating what you've found out?
With my best regards,
Thomas

Platon Alexiades

Hello Thomas,

I made a typo: the name is Mécanicien Moutte (missed 'n' at the end). Sorry!

I have contributed to the uboat.net Allied submarine histories (and also authored the Italian submarines section) and have also contributed from time to time to the Lorenzo Colombo blog:
https://conlapelleappesaaunchiodo.blogspot.com/

Incidentally, a book on Clandestine Operations from Malta, which I co-authored with Frederick Galea and Adrien Abraham, was just published by Wise Owl in Malta. It also covers the role of the French Resistance in Tunisia which was derived from an article I had written for the Italian AIDMEN bulletin. A good portion of the book covers the special missions carried out by British submarines (about 100 missions from Malta).

Kind regards,

Platon

TW

Thank you, Platon.
I've set the Lorenzo Colombo blog to my list of "favorits"
Best regards, Thomas

Darius

Hallo Platon,

vielen Dank für den Hinweis auf das neue Buch  top

:MG:

Darius

Urs Heßling

moin,

zum Umschlagbild siehe He 115 mit dem Satz (Zitat) Von den norwegischen Flugzeugen konnten drei während der deutschen Invasion nach Großbritannien entkommen, wo sie von der RAF im Mittelmeerraum und in der Nordsee beispielsweise zum Transport von Agenten eingesetzt wurden.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Platon Alexiades

Hello Urs,

The father of my friend Jean-Yves Mounier was killed in the crash of one of these Heinkels 115 (ex Norwegian) off Gozo Island (Malta) on 22 September 1941. A fragment of the aircraft can be seen at the Aviation Museum of Malta.

Best regards,

Platon

Urs Heßling

hello, Platon,

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 22 April 2024, 19:33:46crash of one of these Heinkels 115 (ex Norwegian) off Gozo Island (Malta) on 22 September 1941.
I did find September 22, 1941

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Platon Alexiades

Hello Urs,

The Malta: War Diary site that you mention is not quite correct: there were two passengers not one, André Mounier (leader of the French Resistance in Tunisia) and an agent recently recruited, Mathieu Luciani. Both were killed and their bodies were never found. The Mounier network had watched the passage of Axis convoys to Libya which used Tunisian waters to avoid Italian minefields and relaying this information to British Intelligence in Malta. They are credited to have caused the loss of several supply ships, some sources mention 22 ships (including the Tarigo convoy) but it is difficult to be sure.

Best wishes,

Platon

Urs Heßling

hello, Platon,

thank you :TU:)

the Malta diary contains the interesting phrase "The Heinkel, which still carried its German markings,"
which seems to imply that this wasn't a "norwegian" Heinkel, but a german one seized during the WESERÜBUNG campaign

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 23 April 2024, 04:03:29the loss of several supply ships, some sources mention 22 ships (including the Tarigo convoy)
dazu aus der "Chronik des Seekriegs 1939-1945"
13.– 16.4.1941
Mittelmeer

Ein aus den dt. Frachtern Adana (4205 BRT), Aegina (2447 BRT), Arta (2452 BRT), Iserlohn (3704 BRT) und der it. Sabaudia (1590 BRT) bestehender Geleitzug (20. Seetransportstaffel) für das Deutsche Afrika-Korps, der von den ital. Zerstörern Baleno, Lampo und Tarigo gesichert ist, wird in den frühen Morgenstunden des 16.4. bei der Insel Kerkennah von der brit. 14. Zerstörerflottille (Capt. Mack) mit den Zerstörern Jervis, Nubian, Mohawk und Janus abgefangen und fast völlig vernichtet. Arta und der Zerstörer Lampo werden im flachen Wasser aufgesetzt, Lampo kann im August 1941 geborgen werden. Tarigo (FKpt. de Cristofaro) versenkt die Mohawk durch Torpedotreffer (Aus dem in flachem Wasser liegenden Wrack werden im Mai 1941 von ital. Tauchern wertvolle Dokumente geborgen, darunter Teile des »Naval Cypher«). Am folgenden Tag gelingt es den ital. Zerstörern Vivaldi, Da Noli, Mirabello, Dardo, den Torpedobooten Cigno, Clio, Centauro, Missori, Papa, Perseo, Partenope, den Lazarettschiffen Arno und Giuseppe Orlando sowie Seenotflugzeugen von den rund 3000 schiffbrüchigen Soldaten noch 1248 zu retten. Das aufgesetzte Wrack der Arta wird am 26.4. vom brit. U-Boot Upholder vernichtet. (Zitat Ende)

Gruß, Urs

Platon Alexiades

Hello Urs,

The aircraft was a Norwegian Heinkel F.58 which escaped to the UK during Weserübung. It was later painted over with German markings by the British to be used in clandestine operations.

Regarding the casualties of the Tarigo convoy, I think the estimates given in Chronik des Seekrieges are too high. Do you have a breakdown of the losses per ship?

Best wishes,

Platon

Urs Heßling

hello, Platon,

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 23 April 2024, 14:47:35I think the estimates given in Chronik des Seekrieges are too high. Do you have a breakdown of the losses per ship?
No, I don't have those.
It is true that Rohwer's numbers are discussed by other authors, but up to now without substantial proof for one or the other

greetings, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung