Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

joern

Ist dieses Foto dann auch zur gleichen Zeit entstanden ? Die Stempel auf der Rückseite stimmen überein. .
Grüße Joern

alo41

Yes, it is S 29 in Finland (autumn?) 1941. The Bögelund company was still active in Helsinki until 2019.
Your photo shows the shortened Winkerstand well. Compare #1432, page 96 in this thread.

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

alo41

Hi

S 29 with the new commander Schmidt left Amsterdam with CP on 23 May and went to Rotterdam. From there the 1 SFtl went to Kiel to prepare for Barbarossa. There are a few Kiel Photos.

The Schnellboote went to the "Schnellboothafen" by the Arsenal (not Kiel Wik) for the addition of "Tarnmassnahme". They consisted of plate covers over the torpedo tube muzzles, covers over the torpedo tube loading hatches and a new unique "Baltic" striped camouflage (more?).

Note the frame for the plate covers on the Sboot to the left on the first photo.

It looks like S 29 was damaged in the front after the camouflage and covers were applied. This was fixed (in Kiel?) and the camouflage was changed a little (Instandsetzung 06-07 1941 in HMA?)

The finished boats were then with CP on the Kielline? I think it is a mobile "boiler" by CP as well? The photo is taken from S 29.

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

The 1 SFtl was in Kiel Wik before going to Swinemünde on 3 June 1941. There is one Treu photo from there.

The closest boat is not S 29. It is Kunzel's S 103 with his tiger Wappen and reworked Winkerstand etc.
S 29 is the third boat based on the camouflage. The front damage has not been repainted yet (done in Swinemünde?).

The two Wohnschiffe New York and SMS Berlin are also there. Is it possible to say anything about the other ships in the background?

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

S 29 was in Swinemünde 3-11 June 1941 (HMA). I think there is one photo from there. I am not 100 % sure. It looks like Swinemünde in the back ground with barracks and sand piles. It also looks like the compass housing on the boat is white (S 29's was camouflaged), but it can also be the sun. The Bordehund is different from the one on S 20.

/Alo

joern

Hallo Alo41,
wann war denn  S 29 in Zoppot ?
Grüße Joern

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: joern am 29 März 2022, 17:50:45
wann war denn  S 29 in Zoppot ?
eine Liegezeit in Zoppot steht nicht im KTB

da gibt`s aus meiner Sicht zwei Möglichkeiten
(1)
21.06.1941 - 22.06.1941   Minenunternehmung ,,Eisenach" der 5. S-Fltl in der Irbenstraße, S 29 hat Motorschaden und wird vor Beginn der Unternehmung mit S 45 als Begleiter nach Danzig entlassen
26.06.1941   Verlegungsmarsch zum Finnenbusen nach Motorschaden abgebrochen
27.06.1941 - 00.07.1941   Instandsetzung (wo ?)
13.07.1941 - 14.07.1941   Verlegen nach Libau

(2)
04.08.1941 - 05.08.1941   Verlegen (S 54, S 29) von Riga über Windau nach Danzig und am 5.8. (?) weiter nach Kiel

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Joern and Urs,

In the Zoppot photos it looks like there is a celebration. I think it is Saturday 21 June, (Sommeranfang or Sonnenwende?). Note that the front of the boat is now repainted and that the torpedo tube covers has been removed.

There are more S 29 Zoppot photos with the captured flaggs. They are from 4 Aug or a few days later. I will post those photos later.

Thanks for the new photo and thanks for the HMA for making this detailed studys possible.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 März 2022, 19:56:01
In the Zoppot photos it looks like there is a celebration. I think it is Saturday 21 June, (Sommeranfang or Sonnenwende?).
Nein, nicht möglich; die Boote der 5. S-Fltl liefen am 21.6. von Memel nach Norden.
Es könnte aber Sonntag, der 22.6., sein

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 März 2022, 19:56:01
Note that the front of the boat is now repainted and that the torpedo tube covers has been removed.
Ja. Gem. KTB 5. S-Fltl wurden die Torpedoklappenverkleidungen am 21.6., 20:05, entfernt.
Zwei Stunden später, um 21:55 wurde S 29 (mit S 45) in AO 5686 r.o. = 57o 30' N 19o 42' O wegen Motorschaden nach Danzig entlassen.
Leider hat das KTB weder Einlaufzeit noch Einlaufort von S 29 in Danzig.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Urs,

Yes, it is probably early morning the 22 June based on the long shadows (Barbarossa was announced on the radio at 5:30). There are more photos of Schnellboote in Zoppot. Can it be that they were not allowed to enter Neufahrwasser after dark?

I guess that S 29 arrived late also in your #(2), 4-5 Aug 1941 and that they had to wait in Zoppot until morning 5 Aug.

Note the flags taken from Lacplesis and the black panther Wappen.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 März 2022, 08:20:06
There are more photos of Schnellboote in Zoppot. Can it be that they were not allowed to enter Neufahrwasser after dark?
Das weiß ich nicht und habe dazu auch nichts in den KTB gefunden.
Ein im KTB dokumentiertes Einlaufen in Zoppot habe ich nur für S 44 (12.8.) gefunden

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 März 2022, 08:20:06
Note the flags taken from Lacplesis and the black panther Wappen.
Nach KTB wurde Lacplesis nicht betreten, sondern durch Artillerie in Brand geschossen, von der Besatzung verlassen und explodierte dann durch Detonation der zugeladenen Torpedos - also kaum eine Möglichkeit, eine Flagge zu erbeuten.

Gibt es eine andere mögliche Erklärung ?

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi,

The Flags has been discussed a few times. Theo had a large post (#5): https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,24475.msg276961.html#msg276961

Lacplesis from Theo's post:

"1941,27.Juni: von der sowj. Kriegsmarine übernommen.
22. Juli: Während einer Versorgungsfahrt von Triigi nach Möntu, in Schlepp das sowj. Motortorpedoboot DT 71, wird das Schiff von den dt. S-Booten " S 29, S 54,S 57 und S 58" angegriffen und nach Niederkämpfung des sowj. MTB's geentert. Von den dt. S-Booten werden 14 Letten, 1 sowj. Kapitänleutnant und drei sowj. Matrosen übernommen und Lacplesis mit Sprengpatronen versehen. Nach dem dt. Kriegstagebuch der S-Boot-Flottille ist das Schiff wenig später explodiert und gesunken, nach sowj. Nachkriegsangaben setzen zwei an Bord versteckt gebliebene Besatzungsmitglieder das Schiff bei Roomassare auf Grund."

It says Lacplesis were blown up with scuttle charges (maybe by the own crew?). It also says they entered the DT-71. Maybe the flags are from this MTB.

They could also be from TKA-47 in Libau or found in one of the ports.

Note that the Swastika flag is probably a Sovjet copy.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 März 2022, 14:12:48
... wird das Schiff von den dt. S-Booten " S 29, S 54,S 57 und S 58" angegriffen und nach Niederkämpfung des sowj. MTB's geentert. Von den dt. S-Booten werden 14 Letten, 1 sowj. Kapitänleutnant und drei sowj. Matrosen übernommen und Lacplesis mit Sprengpatronen versehen. Nach dem dt. Kriegstagebuch der S-Boot-Flottille ist das Schiff wenig später explodiert und gesunken,
Tja.
Im KTB steht nichts von "entern" oder "mit Sprengpatronen versehen"
Da steht nur "in die Nähe gegangen" (also nicht einmal längsseits), siehe Anhang

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi,

Yes, there is not any absolute prof in the KTB for capturing of the flags.

The sunk Sovjet Schnellboot is named "D T 71" in the KTB. Is this the same boat as TKA-71 that is still active in 1942?
I could not find any commander claim for "D T 71" in HMA. Have I missed it?
Lacplesis was claimed by Wagner in S 54 (HMA).

I will look up the KB story again on this incident to see what is says.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 März 2022, 17:41:12
I could not find any commander claim for "D T 71" in HMA. Have I missed it?
Ja, da gibt es eine Differenz zwischen "Bootsmeldung" und "Kommandantenmeldung"
Es wäre besser, den Erfolg allen 4 Booten zuzuschreiben.

Gruß, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung