Help to identification wreck of M.F.P. inTuscany

Begonnen von Bronco74, 06 Juni 2023, 22:44:13

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Bronco74

Hi to all,
i hope I'm posting in the correct part of the forum. I ask for help to identifying the submerged wreck of a M.F.P. found in Tuscany near the mouth of the Ombrone river. The wreck is broken into two parts and, at the moment, only the stern part is known. The position and the part of the wreck is compatible with the sinking of F772 - F611 (05/06/1944) and F704 - F590 (9-10/05/1944). I enclose some photos taken by Simone Nicolini of Argentario Divers during a dive made together. I don't think it's the F772 because the anchor arms are different and the ship's weapons look German. Unfortunately I have not found historical photos of the F611 - F704 - F590. Do you have other useful information? Thanks for any help you can give

TW

Hallo Bronco.
Ich versuch mal, einige markannte Unterschiede zu ermitteln.

• F 704 war ein "motozattere" italienischer Bauart Typ A (ex MZ 704). Er wurde von Torpedo(s) getroffen und versenkt
  • F 590 war ein MFP deutscher Bauart Typ C. Er hatte aber eine 6,5cm Ansaldo Flak an Bord. Ebenfalls versenkt durch Torpedotreffer
  • F 611 war ein MFP deutscher Bauart Typ C2 mit einer 7,5cm Flak. Er wurde von Raketenbomben getroffen und wurde (laut Augenzeugen) durch Detonation der Munitions- und Minenladung förmlich zerrissen

Ich hoffe, die Angaben helfen Euch weiter.
Viele Grüße, Thomas

Darius

Hallo zusammen,

die Versenkung von F 611 + F 772 hatten wir hier:
 --/>/> https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,34762.msg394522.html
Bei beiden Fahrzeugen haben wir keine genaueren Positionsangaben.

Für F 590 + F 704 haben wir 42°32'1''N, 11°3'2''O als Verlustort.
 --/>/>  https://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/landungsfahrzeuge/marinefaehrprahm/beschreibung.php

:MG:

Darius

Bronco74

Thanks for the replies, your work has been very helpful. The 6.5 Ansaldo cannon was not very common and it would be essential to find it for the exact identification. The wreck was broken up probably by an explosion. Do you the KTB for f590 - F704 ?
Many thanks

TW

Es gibt leider keine KTB von einzelnen MFP's.
F590 und F704 gehörten zur 2. Landungsflottille. Die KTB's wurden vom Nationalarchiv Washington verfilmt und befinden sich im Bestand T-1022 auf den Rollen 3069, 3070 und 3071. Die Rollen kannst Du --/>/> hier finden und herunterladen.
Schönen Gruß, Thomas

Anlage: Gefechtsberichte

Bronco74

Thanks for the precious info.  Near the stern cannon is a little barrier to protect against shrapnel. I don't think it's a common thing to all M.F.P. so it could be an important element. I hope to have more elements to give you to discuss about the identification of the wreck.

Thanks again

Massimo

Iceman

Zitat von: TW am 07 Juni 2023, 13:46:30Hallo Bronco.
Ich versuch mal, einige markannte Unterschiede zu ermitteln.

• F 704 war ein "motozattere" italienischer Bauart Typ A (ex MZ 704). Er wurde von Torpedo(s) getroffen und versenkt
  • F 590 war ein MFP deutscher Bauart Typ C. Er hatte aber eine 6,5cm Ansaldo Flak an Bord. Ebenfalls versenkt durch Torpedotreffer
  • F 611 war ein MFP deutscher Bauart Typ C2 mit einer 7,5cm Flak. Er wurde von Raketenbomben getroffen und wurde (laut Augenzeugen) durch Detonation der Munitions- und Minenladung förmlich zerrissen

Ich hoffe, die Angaben helfen Euch weiter.
Viele Grüße, Thomas

I think Thomas (TW) gave us the important info we needed to identify the MZ. I think that the gun shown in the sub-photos is a 65/64 Ansaldo. We can see alot of details that they look alike it. The MFP is probably the F 590 then.
Do you know if other MFP had the 65/64 gun?

https://www.anb-online.it/armi/armi-moderne/2627-cannone-da-6564-ansaldo-scudato/

Best regards

Marco Ghiglino

TW

Zitat von: Iceman am 09 Juni 2023, 12:07:19Do you know if other MFP had the 65/64 gun?

Der Gefechtsbericht von F704 (ex MZ704) spricht von 120 Schuss aus dem 7,6-cm-Geschütz.
Also offenbar keine 6,5-cm-Ansaldo.

Ob noch weitere MFP's in deutscher Hand mit Ansaldo-Geschützen unterwegs waren, weiß ich nicht.
Unsere Datenbank gibt bei Suchwort "Ansaldo" durchwegs nur die Ansaldo-Werft an.
Viele Grüße, Thomas

Bronco74

Hello Marco,
thanks for your contribution. I'm not an expert so I'm just adding my personal opinion. The stern gun in the photo appears to me to be a single SK C/30. I compared the photo with the one of the wreck of U166 and the similarities are many. I'd like to be wrong so we have the solution to identify the wreck. I'll wait yours opinion.

Thanks

Massimo

Iceman

Hello Massimo,
I admit the similarities are relevant. Many AA guns were similar in layout to allow high elevation of the barrel. Keeping in mind so, for my little experience, the majority of the vessels in Tyrrenian sea had Breda single 37mm gun or German but double 37 mm guns. The single SK C/30 was rare, but still possible. I don't have knlodge of the exact armaments of the 4 MFP taken in consideration in this study. More, we should see in which position is the gun in the photo because usually the MFP kept an heavy gun in the cannon position while the 20 and 37 machine guns were in additional positions. If you have a chance to dive again on the wreck maybe you could take a raw measurement of the calibre or the external diameter of the gun, because between 65 and 37 mm gun there is a huge difference in size. At that point, if we all agree that is a 65 mm we can be sure the vessel is F 590, if turn out that the gun is 37 mm we should see which vessel had a german signle 37 gun (also rare).

Best regards

Marco Ghiglino

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung