Photo of submarine (?) wreck at Tobruk 1942

Begonnen von Platon Alexiades, 08 September 2021, 17:49:13

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Platon Alexiades

The Australian War Memorial has this attached photo with the caption of "TOBRUK, LIBYA. 1942. A GERMAN SUBMARINE WRECK IN TOBRUK HARBOUR. THE U-BOAT WAS JUST ONE OF MANY..."

The link can be found at:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C205965?image=1

No German submarine was sunk there but the Italian Antonio Sciesa was indeed scuttled there on 13 November 1942. The photograph is not very clear and some have suggested it might be a motozattera (Italian F-lighter). I have not seen a good photograph of the scuttling of Antonio Sciesa and this photo perhaps shows this submarine if it is lying on its flank. Anyone has a suggestion of the identity of this wreck?

Many thanks,

Platon

Platon Alexiades

Many thanks Andrzej! This is very useful.

So the Australian caption is definitely wrong. Has anyone have any suggestion as to the identity of the wreck in their picture?

Platon

Urs Heßling

hi, Platon,

to me, the "curved" lines seem to be more indicative to a warship than for a merchantman

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Platon Alexiades

Hi Urs,

I received a couple of suggestions that the wreck could be that of a motozattera (F-lighter). Several Italian and German F-lighters were sunk there. It is a possibility but I am not sure. Then perhaps it is a warship sunk before 1942.

Many thanks for the comments,

Platon

AndreasB

Keep in mind the pictures may not have been taken at the same time, so maybe the sub had turned further on its side?

I might be able to get a hi-res copy from a friend, if that is of interest?

All the best

Andreas

maxim

In case of the Australian archive, the hi-resolution copy should be very helpful. The resolution of the preview is very low. I think that a better quality is necessary to rule out that the wreck is of Antonio Sciesa (with more list to port).

AndreasB

I'll have a gander and will revert.

All the best

Andreas

Platon Alexiades

Hi Andreas,

If you can get a higher resolution photo it might certainly help.

Hi Maxim,

Your point about this might still be Sciesa at a different time, perhaps after capsizing, is well taken.

Many thanks to you both.

Platon

AndreasB

Wird ein paar Wochen dauern wg. Lockdown in Australien.

Alles Gute

Andreas

Platon Alexiades

Hi Darius,

Many thanks for the photo. If I have to guess, I would say that the "submarine" wreck is located in the spot where the ship is seen on the left hand side of your photo. There were many vessels sunk in Tobruk harbour during the period 1940-1942 so narrowing it down will not be easy without a better photograph.

Hi Andreas,

Many thanks again. We can be patient!

Best regards,

Platon

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung