Schiffs- und Ortsidentifzierungen Mittelmeer

Begonnen von Whinigo, 20 September 2020, 00:29:29

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Peter K.

Nach "La Difesa del Traffico con l´Africa settentrionale" habe ich im fraglichen Zeitraum PROCIDA letztmalig auslaufend Tripolis am 21.04. um 14.30 Uhr nach Neapel gefunden.

BIRMANIA ist zusammen mit KYBFELS, REICHENFELS, MARBURG und RIALTO am 01.05 um 23.00 Uhr von Neapel kommend in Tripolis eingelaufen. Alle außer BIRMANIA sind am 05.05. um 09.30 Uhr nach Palermo ausgelaufen.

CITTA DI BARI ist von Benghasi kommend schon am 29.04. um 09.30 Uhr in Tripolis eingelaufen.

BROOK, TILLY L.M. RUSS und MAX BEHRENDT sind am 03.05. in Tripolis eingelaufen, die beiden ersteren sind am 05.05. um 12.30 Uhr nach Benghasi ausgelaufen. Am 14.05. um 20.00 Uhr sind sie wieder nach Tripolis in See gegangen, wo sie am 17.05. um 06.30 Uhr ankamen.

Ich bin somit derzeit der Meinung, auf den Bildern 16 und 17 BROOK zu sehen.
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

www.forum-marinearchiv.de

SchlPr11

Hallo Peter,
BROOK führte keinen Schwergutbaum am vorderen Mast. Lüfter hinter dem Schornstein, achterer Mast scheint einen Ladebaum voraus zu führen, Mast BROOK stand gleich achtern des Mittschiffsaufbau, Masttopp im Bild leicht und schlank - bei BROOK über der Saling gleichstark und weniger hoch aus dem Untermast rauslaufend.
Wie sieht es mit den beiden genannten LIVORNO/SPEZIA im zeitlichen Zulauf aus. Zuletzt bleibt dann nur PROCIDA...
Beste Grüße - REINHARD

Peter K.

Okay, ich habe nur schlechte Bilder von BROOK.
SPEZIA erscheint nicht vor 29.07. einlaufend Tripolis, LIVORNO ist erstmals am 07.09. erwähnt.
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

Iceman

Hello to everyone,

I think we didn't take in consideration the photo "Mittelmeer-016.jpg". It was taken in the same occasion as the photo we talking about and there are 2 clear elements:
- it was taken in Bengasi harbour
- there is in background the motorship MONVISO

MONVISO arrived the first time in Afrika on 05/01/1942, in Tripoli, and only on 02/05/1942 she finally called Bengasi. In any case already from January, the only cargo ship of the "TRAPANI, PROCIDA, SPEZIA, LIVORNO class" still afloat was the lone TRAPANI......

Best regards

Marco Ghiglino

Peter K.

Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

Whinigo

Whinigo

Nachtrag Nummer 15

MARIA EUGENIA hatte ich hier bereits einmal als Farbdia von der anderen Seite.

https://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,24539.msg277551.html#msg277551

offtopic - Da kommt man sich vor wie ein Trottel.

LColombo

Zitat von: Whinigo am 20 September 2020, 00:29:29
Liebe Marineexperten,

ich habe hier noch einen Fotonachlass bekommen, bei dem es sich um den Nachschubverkehr im Mittelmeer dreht.
Einiges habe ich schon versucht zu identifizieren, jedoch scheitere ich bei einigen Fotos und hoffe auf Eure Hilfe. Es wäre auch schön, wenn Ihr meine Ergebnisse bestätigt oder korrigiert.

Ich danke schon einmal vorab für Eure Hilfe.

LG
Nick

Zu den Bildern:

Bild 1 - Italienischer Hochseeschlepper nach Bombentreffer im Hafen von Tobruk - bloss welcher?
Bild 2 - Welche Schiffe sind das? Kann man sie identifzieren? Hafen Tobruk?
Bild 3 - Welche Schiffe sind das? Kann man sie identifzieren? Hafen Tobruk?
Bild 4 - Gleiches Motiv wie Bild 2 - nur etwas nach links gedreht...
Bild 5 - Welche versenkte Schiffe liegen da?
Bild 6 - Im Hafen von Tobruk R-Boot der 6. R.-Flottille - kann man identifizieren, welches R Boot es ist?
Bild 7 - Hafen Tripolis - ist das brennende Schiff die Birmania? Und welche Schiffe sind die anderen auf dem Bild?
Bild 8 - Welches Schiff ist das? Und treibt da im Wasser ein Mensch?
Bild 9 - Kann man den Ort identifizieren?
Bild 10 - Kann man trotz der Unschärfe die Schiffe identifizieren?

Photo 2 appears to be a destroyer sunk in shallow water, with just the top of the masts sticking out. By exclusion it should almost certainly be Aquilone, sunk by an aerial mine just outside the harbour of Benghazi on 17 September 1940, with just the top of the masts above surface. Other destroyers/torpedo boats were sunk in North African ports, but they were in shallower water and there was more than just the masts sticking out.

Zitat von: Iceman am 21 September 2020, 10:07:38
Hello Nick,

here my comments:

1 MAX BERENDT
2 ????
3 SERENITAS (or British armed merchant ship) and  LCT
4 Sunken passenger ship LIGURIA and damaged oil tanker RONDINE
5 Same as 3
6 Green arrow is the burning BIRMANIA in Tripoli (03-05-41), red arrow is a German cargo ship but I don't know which one, maybe a Russ....
7 FRECCIA or SAETTA
8 Palermo harbour
9 On the left destroyer DA VERAZZANO

14 URAGANO torpedo boat
15 Cargo ship MARIA EUGENIA converted in berth
16 Cargo ship GLORIASTELLA converted in berth

Best regards

Marco Ghiglino

No.3 is not Serenitas, she looked different and was run aground on the coast, with her bow almost on the ground: https://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/14665/1405458112.jpg. The ship in the photo doesn't look like any of the Italian ships sunk in Tobruk or Benghazi.

Iceman

I think the photo with the masts of the destroyer has been shot in Tobruk harbour, so it seems unlikely that can be AQUILONE. I think it can be instead the ZEFFIRO. AQUILONE was one of the destroyer with modified crow's-nest, but ZEFFEIRO not, and in the photo it looks like an old type crow's-nest.

In photo 3 I'm totally agree with you, cannot be SERENITAS but instead the british auxiliary ship BANKURA. This means also that the photos in Tobruk are shot after the re-conquest of the city by the axis forces in June 1942.

Best regards

Marco Ghiglino

LColombo

Hi,
I don't think it's Zeffiro as known photos of Zeffiro's wreck exist, and they show that the funnels and the top of the forward superstructure, in addition to the masts, were above the surface:

Iceman

Hello LColombo,
at first sight I though the same but we have to consider few elements:

- the location in the original photo is for sure Tobruk bay because Bengasi has no hills behind (AQUILONE so has to be eliminated)
- the other destroyers sank there were OSTRO and NEMBO, but OSTRO was sunk in deeper water (with the aft mast destroyed), while NEMBO was lying completely on her portside so they cannot be
- the photo you posted was the wreck as it was few days after being sank (in 1940), while the original photo was shot in 1942 after the reconquest. In the meantime ZEFFIRO was stripped by the Italians of many items (sourse USMM), like the projector and the telemetric turret (items above the water), then Tobruk was bombed again by British, German and Italians and some bombs probably hit again the wreck of ZEFFIRO

I attach another photo of the wreck shot in 1940. I think we can see some common elemets, li the top mast broken and lying upsidedown like a cross, and other similaritie with the aft mast. But this is just my opinion.

Best regards

MG

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung