U-34 vs "SS Bellatrix"

Begonnen von Bronco74, 23 März 2024, 12:40:12

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Bronco74

Good morning,
I am looking for more information about sinking of the SS "Bellatrix" sunk on 23 March 1917 by the U-34 commanded by Johannes Klasing near Civitavecchia (Italy). Is there a report on the sinking?

Thanks for the help

Urs Heßling

moin,

zitiert aus "Der Krieg zur See", "Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten", 4. Band "Februar bis Dezember 1917", Seite 161 (Fortsetzung "U 34")
An deritalienischen Westküste NW von Rom Unterwasser-Torpedofehlschuß gegen griechischen Dampfer "Artemis", 528 T, dann aufgetaucht, Schiff angehalten, + durch Geschützfeuer (III.55), ebenso kurz danach italienischen D "Noli", 1569 T (III.56), sowie norwegischen D. "Bellatrix", 2588 T, durch Torpedofangschuß (III.57)
Anmerkung : die in Klammern gesetzte Kombination wie (III.55) bezieht sich auf eine Karte in einem besonderen Kartenband. Dieser Karte nach fanden die Versenkungen in unmittelbarer Nähe der Küste statt, so nah, daß die eingezeichneten Versenkungssymbole mit der Küstenlinie überlappen.
("Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten" Band 3, Karte III "U-Boote der U-Flottille Pola Februar bis April 1917")

Gruß, Urs

"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Bronco74

Thanks for the reply, do you know if any documents are available in the NARA?

Urs Heßling

hello, Bronco,

sorry, but no, I don't.

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

UC 67

Hi Bronco,

I have the report of inquiry regarding the loss of the BELLATRX. It's in Norwegian language but that should be no problem with one of the translators which are available online. I have also the war diary of U 34. Do you have a special interest regarding that incident?
Gruß aus Potsdam

Simon

Bronco74

Thanks for the reply Simon, I have a professional diver friend who has information on the Bellatrix wreck and is looking for information about the sinking.If the wreck were found it would be interesting to write the complete story.

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung