Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Hi,

You should write your answers in Deutsch! :-)

I also think that the mast bages are indicating a Rotte. Is there a name for this type of badge on the mast? There must also have been a name for the individual Rotte (Example: X and XX was "Rotte number 1" or "Rotte A"). I will post some other findings when I get back home.

There are very few good photos of Schnellboote in general and in 1945 in particular.
There are photos of several of the front line Flottillen showing markings on the sterne. 2 S-Ftl, 4 S-Ftl, 8 S-Ftl, 1 and 2 S-SchulFtl.
The 4 S-Ftl is the most advanced. They had a Wappen (comet) that is probebly the Rotte and the "5" and the "TA". It could mean that Rotte "comet" was boat 5 and 6. I have read in some places that the last boat was called Tampe or were in the Tampe possition. I will try to find this reference agin. Is that term used today?

Urs,
I understand that you do not think that they painted the taktische Reihenfolge on the boat. I agree with that. I think that "TA" could mean the last boat in the last Rotte. (Rotte 1 = boat 1 and 2, Rotte 2 = boat 3 and 4, Rotte 3 = boat 5 and TA)

/Alo

Antworte im deutsch, bitte

alo41

Hi,

I found the "Tampen" reference in Jan Mayen, Alarm Schnellboote.   S 36 was "taktische Nummer Tampen (letztes Boot)" I am beliving that the 4 S-Ftl boats were "Nummer 5" and "Nummer Tampen" (TA).

I have also found that the MinensuchFtl used a similar system with "badges" in the masts and later painted on the boats if the masts were removed. Many of the Minensuchboote keept thire masts and continued to use the badge system during the whole war. There must be some documents describing this system some where???

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Alo,

"Tampen" oder "taktische Nummer Tampen" ist seemännische Umgangssprache (navy slang), aber ich kann nicht glauben, daß dies die Grundlage der Markierung "TA" mit 2 Großbuchstaben ist.

Wir können auch nicht sicher sein, ob das andere Heckzeichen ein "S" oder eine "5" ist.

Ich glaube weiterhin (ohne das im Augenblick konkret belegen zu können!), daß es sich um Buchstaben handelt, deren Referenz ich noch finden muß.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Urs,

It was discussed on Atlantik Pirat a long time ago. I thought at that time that it was an "S" for Hans-Jürgen Seeger. I have since then changed my mind. We would need a photo of another 4 S-Ftl boat in 1945 to be able to decide what is right.

Link: http://forum.atlantik-pirat.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=113&start=60

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

Back to the mast badges. What is the name in German for these badges? For the Schnellboote it could be Rottenwappen? They were used during the war, mainly by the Minensuchflottillen but also by many other units. They were placed on the mast but could also be painted on the boat.

Here is one example with it painted on a KS-Boot.

I would also like to know if it is possible to read them in any way?

/Alo

alo41

alo41

I found byron's post regarding 3 R-BootFtl. from 2008.

The mast badges are named "Abzeichen" and they are describing the boats "Takt. Nr.".
I would assume that the same system and words were used in the SchnellbootFtl, at least in peace time.

My question is now if the boats "Taktische Nummer" (if it exsisted in the same way in a S-Ftl) always were the same as "Taktische Reihenfolge" in war time on a mission?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 08 Dezember 2012, 09:12:47
My question is now if the boats "Taktische Nummer" (if it exsisted in the same way in a S-Ftl) always were the same as "Taktische Reihenfolge" in war time on a mission?

Nein, meiner Meinung nach nicht.

Wenn man die Einsätze von Flottillen betrachtet, stellt man fest, daß relativ oft Boote, die zur Flottille gehörten, nicht dabei waren (z.B. wegen Motorschäden oder Motorenüberholung.

Es kam auch öfter vor, daß ein Boot nach dem Auslaufen wegen Schäden, z.B. am Ruder oder an einer Maschine, umkehren mußte und aus dem Verband entlassen wurde. In beiden Fällen mußte ggf. die taktische Reihenfolge und die Zusammensetzung der Rotten kurzfristig geändert werden.

In den Flottillen-KTB werden Boote und Kommandanten in der Reihenfolge der aufsteigenden Nummern der Boote aufgelistet. Damit wird aber keine taktische Reihenfolge festgelegt. Im Einsatz fuhr der Flottillenchef fuhr auf dem ersten Boot der taktischen Reihenfolge, das aber nicht notwendigerweise das mit der "niedrigsten" Nummer war.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

kgvm

Stimmt, Urs,
aber gerade diese Tatsache spricht auch dafür, daß es für die taktische Reihenfolge keine besonderen Kennzeichnungen gab.

alo41

Hi,

My understanding is now that the R-BootFtl used the "Taktische Nummer" diffrently compared to a S-BootFtl during the war.
The R-BootFtl would have the Taktische Nummer as a possittion in the Flottille that a boat would be asigned to. Example Takt. Nr. 1 is VP-Boot 205. They would organize the Flottille around the Taktische Nummer. The lists are then based on the Takt. Nr. 1, 2, 3... and the boats are marked acordingly.

The S-BootFtl would have it the other way around. "S 205 is today operating as Tacktische Nummer 1." They were then organized around the boats avileble. The lists are then based on the boats name. S 101, S 102.... and the boats are marked individualy (not 2 S-Ftl after 1943).

My next question is then if the S-BootFtl were organized as the R-BootFtl in peace time (when they used the mast "Abzeichen" system).? Or maybe it was only a way to define a Rotte in the same way as the 2 S-Ftl did during the war with the card marking?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, KG,

Zitat von: kgvm am 08 Dezember 2012, 16:28:41
aber gerade diese Tatsache spricht auch dafür, daß es für die taktische Reihenfolge keine besonderen Kennzeichnungen gab.

Das sehe ich auch so (und habe es auch schon hier gesagt), soweit die Einsatzflottillen betroffen sind.

Bei den Schulflottillen mit (völlig) unerfahrenen Kommandanten war es wichtig, daß der "Rottenknecht" seinen "Rottenführer" z.B. beim Formationswechseln unter schlechten Sichtverhältnissen schnell identifizieren konnte. Deswegen kann es dort, auch noch zu Kriegszeiten, Zeichen der taktischen Reihenfolge gegeben haben. Ich weiß es nicht .

Die Kommandanten-Abzeichen mit Buchstaben und "Wappentieren" hatten meiner Meinung nach zwei "Aufgaben"
- sie gaben der Bootsbesatzung eine Gemeinschaftsgefühl, neudeutsch "corporate identity"
- sie erleichterten in einer "Melée" (d.h. wildem Hin- und herkurven) im Einsatz ein Identifizieren und Zusammenfinden, denn jeder Kommandant wußte nach der "Briefing" vor dem Auslaufen, welcher andere Kommandant "Führer" und "Knecht" in welcher Rotte war.

gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi Urs,

I generaly agree with you. The 2 s-Ftl was however an exception. They started to use the card symbols to represent a Rotte with a bar under the symbol for the Rottenführer in 1942. I think that the 4 S-Ftl, 1 S-SchulFtl and possebly 1 and 6 S-Ftl adopted something similar in 1945.

There is a new 4 S-Ftl photo on ebay. It is a typ S 38b whith a commander name on the Kalotte. It looks like it does not have any other marking. This confirmes that the 5/S and TA/AT marking was a late war thing.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Alo,

Danke für die tollen Bilder  top :MG:

Ist das 4. Bild in Felixstowe aufgenommen ? (Alliierte Soldaten auf der Pier ?

Gruß, Urs

alo41

No, it is probebly taken in 1944. HaJü is still armed with a 4 cm Bofors gun.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 09 Dezember 2012, 11:02:52
The 2 s-Ftl was however an exception. They started to use the card symbols to represent a Rotte with a bar under the symbol for the Rottenführer in 1942.

Möglicherweise war der Auslöser dafür der Verlust von S 53 (OLtzS Block), für den der Flottillenchef Feldt sich mitverantwortlich fühlte, weil er einen zu unerfahrenen Kommandanten mit in den Einsatz genommen hatte.

Zitat von: alo41 am 09 Dezember 2012, 12:59:09
No, it is probebly taken in 1944. HaJü is still armed with a 4 cm Bofors gun.

Ja, danke.

Gruß, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung