Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Perfect answer Urs, thank you.

The diffrent mine rails can clearly be sean on the photo with the german rail to the right (two Sprängboje and a Reissboje) and the polish/russian to the left with the M/08 mines.

One conclusion is then that the EMC mines were used in Boulogne and the M/08 and EMD were used in Ostende.

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

alo41

Hi all.

Time for a quiz

A ww2 photo and text that had me realy confused.

Boat number?
Where?
When?
What happened?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

hi, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 Oktober 2020, 00:03:52
Time for a quiz
:TU:)  ja

A ww2 photo and text that had me realy confused.
mich auch :roll:

Boat number?
S 13

Where?
Wilhelmshaven

When?
15. Mai, 19:00-20:00

What happened?
Am 10. Mai hatte S 31 unter Oblt.z.S. Opdenhoff den britischen Zerstörer Kelly torpediert und war danach in Wilhelmshaven eingelaufen. Am 15. Mai sollte die 2. Schnellbootflottille (Kptlt. Petersen) mit den Booten S 30, S 31, S 32, S 34 und S 13 nach Esbjerg verlegen. Die Boote S 31 und S 13 mußten wegen Maschinenproblemen umkehren und machten um 20:00 in Wilhelmshaven fest.
Der Fotograf verwechselte die Boote, vielleicht wegen eines möglichen Zahlendrehers, und nahm S 13 für S 31 (oder es war ihm egal)
Der Standort Wilhelmshaven wird durch das Schiff im Hintergrund bestätigt. Es handelt sich um das Schlachtschiff Gneisenau, das auf Wilhelmshaven Reede liegt.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Yes, it must be S 13 in Wilhelmshaven and it is a mix up with S 31. Well done!

I found a sheet (D.A.M 61) showing the other photos on that film roll. It starts with an identical photo of S 31 (easy to mix upp if you are not an S-Boot fanatic). It then shows S 13 comming and final a very happy Opdenhoff.
I there fore think the S 13 date is the same as Opdenhoff's arrival in Wilhelmhaven. 10 May 1940 probebly ~11:00. S 13 hade broken of the trip to Wilhelhaven from Stavanger on the 9 May and hade probebly restarted the the Wilhelmhafen travel early on the 10 May. S 13 was KB in Wilhelmhaven on the 11 May.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 Oktober 2020, 19:07:43
I found a sheet (D.A.M 61) showing the other photos on that film roll. It starts with an identical photo of S 31 (easy to mix upp if you are not an S-Boot fanatic). It then shows S 13 comming and final a very happy Opdenhoff.
Großartige Bilder top top Danke für`s Teilen !  :MG: :TU:)

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 Oktober 2020, 19:07:43
I there fore think the S 13 date is the same as Opdenhoff's arrival in Wilhelmhaven. 10 May 1940 probebly ~11:00. S 13 hade broken of the trip to Wilhelhaven from Stavanger on the 9 May and hade probebly restarted the the Wilhelmhafen travel early on the 10 May. S 13 was KB in Wilhelmhaven on the 11 May.
Ich glaube, daß Deine Bilder meine These vom 15/2000 unterstützen. Argument:
Wie man sieht, sind die Schatten der Personen sehr lang. Um die Mittagszeit (nach 11:00) wären sie eher kurz. Sie passen aber zur Uhrzeit 20:00 am 15. Mai.
Und die Freude Opdenhoffs war sicher noch 5 Tage nach seinem Erfolg da (oder er wußte schon von der Verleihung des Ritterkreuzes am nächsten Tag ?)

Gruß, Urs

"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Yes, you are right again. The sun is wery low to the west. The pire is (was) more or less running east to west.

/Alo

Paule_schnuppi

Zitat von: alo41 am 25 Oktober 2020, 14:53:20
Schnellboot S 54, 3 SFtl is covered in two articles in the Signal magazine.

1. November 1940
1. Februari 1941

KB Kinulehn, photos Gerhard Gronedfeld (quite well known by google, documented shooting of hostages in Serbia)

/Alo

Hi Alo,
I can´t contribute to the reports on the S-boats.
Gerhard Gronefeld is a great-uncle of mine who was a war correspondent for the propaganda magazine Signal, and, as you wrote, about the execution of Serbian hostages. These photos were exhibited by Jan P. Reemstma in his 2 Wehrmacht exhibitions in the 90s.

As far as I know, his photo archive was added to the photo collection of the German Historical Museum Berlin in this context.

Perhaps there are more photos by Gerhard Gronefeld on this subject in the photo archive of the DHM.

Take care
MartinP.

alo41

Nice to here your comment Martin, there is an enormous span in your great uncles work. Puts a lot of things in perspective.

The torpedo explosion in Ostende 15 Aug 1940,

I can not get a full match between the photos and the drawing. It looks to me that S 35 and S 24 has been mixed up, or were the boats moved? I have not found any photo of S 24, anyone? Note the (yellow?) rectangle on S 35. Left over from Weserübnung?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,
noch einmal herzlichen Dank :MG: top für die tollen Bilder !

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Another quize,

Another typ S 30 boat on a WW2 photo.

What boat?
Where?
When?
Mystery?

/Alo

Hägar

Hello, Gentlemen

Referring to Urs's # 903, last line, I'd like to add this:
The vessel in the distance of the photo in # 902, and on the first one in # 904, is not the GNEISENAU, I'm sorry, but the KÖLN (two funnels).
There can be recognized a dark 'line' abaft the mid-ship area that must be understood as a row of mines.
Also, an auxiliary vessel is moored to the fore part.

KÖLN was equipped with mines on the 14.05.40 in the forenoon.
Having left Whv roads in the morning of 15.05. the mining operation was cancelled for reasons of a bad weather forecast, and the task force (KÖLN, GRILLE, SCHOEMANN, HEINEMANN, BEITZEN, GREIF) returned to Whv.
KÖLN dropped anchor on the roads at 15:12 (still with mines).
In between 18:30 and 19:40 the cruiser took in oil from the tanker AMRUM.

So, I think that it is this time window of the two PK photos resp. series.
Regards - Hägar

Urs Heßling

moin, Reinhard,
danke für die Korrektur und die Bestätigung meiner Datums-/Zeit-Annahme :TU:)

Gruß, Urs

Urs Heßling

moin,

ein Internet-Fund:  S 31 vor Malta

Gruß, Urs

Ede Kowalski

Hallo Urs,
ein schöner Artikel. Das war dann wohl das Boot, auf dem mein Onkel Helmut Ley sein Leben gelassen hat.  :MG:
Gruß Ralf

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: Ede Kowalski am 30 Oktober 2020, 18:41:26
Das war dann wohl das Boot, auf dem mein Onkel Helmut Ley sein Leben gelassen hat.
Ja

Gruß, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung