Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Hi Urs,

I have added a Ijmuidin photo of S 67 from 1942 and a later photo with the Karo Balke Wappen (and Zymalkowski.. I think).

The rebuild of S 67 in Oct-Nov 1942 probably included:

Removal of the two small top clear sections on the Kalotte
Adding two small clear sections on the side of the Kalotte. They are covered by the sliding hatches when they are opened.
Painting Karo Balke Wappen
Painting most things on the deck black
One more compass
Adding MG 34 Zwilling
Replacing high foldable front railing (old type) with a low fixed (new type).
Adding FuMG.

I also now saw that the commander Bordehund photo was a mirror image (the smoker is left handed). I now think it is Zymalkowski. I also found a Richter photo in HMA. White uniform, I dont think it is him.

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Danke für die Bilder :TU:) ... tja, ich habe dazu leider keine weiteren Informationen.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi,

S 67 went with Richter to Århus on 15 Jan 1943. I have managed to match a few photos to this location. The Karo Wappen and the black deck is clearly there by this date. No commander photos.

The pack house in the back ground on first photo was destroyed already in 1944 (ammunition explosion).

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 04 Februar 2022, 09:24:53
S 67 went with Richter to Århus on 15 Jan 1943. I have managed to match a few photos to this location. The Karo Wappen and the black deck is clearly there by this date.
Ist das Karo-Foto eventuell seitenverkehrt ?
Eine "2" könnte bei der zeitweisen Zugehörigkeit zur Schulflottille Sinn machen, dieses Zeichen eher nicht.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Urs,
It is not a "2".  :wink:They have painted the edge of the Kalotte black to prevent staines.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 04 Februar 2022, 19:36:35
It is not a "2". :-) They have painted the edge of the Kalotte black to prevent staines.
Ja, jetzt, wo Du es so genau sagst, sehe ich es auch

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi,

Next in the photo album is, as Urs said, Schnellbootschulflottille (with numbers (4)). S 67 is training torpedo shoots at Tanga. I have found the harbor they used. Can you?

What numbers could the SchulFtl boats have?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 05 Februar 2022, 08:20:53
What numbers could the SchulFtl boats have?
Ich habe nur zwei Bilder mit Zahlen.

Ich meine aber, daß ich auch einmal ein Foto mit Buchstaben gesehen habe

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Yes, the SchulFtl used both letters and numbers. I think there were two groups before the 1. and 2. SSchulFtl were formed.
This could be an example that this was in place already in Feb. 1943.

The typ S 38 boat is "4" and the typ S 18 looks like "D" (or "O" or "0"...).

I have added a later SSchulFtl photo from Swinemünde (1944?). Number "4" is here a Kalotte boat.

Is it possible to say what boats the SchulFtl had in Feb 1943?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 05 Februar 2022, 14:13:46
Is it possible to say what boats the SchulFtl had in Feb 1943?
Ja , siehe Anhang, rechte Seite, rechte Spalte

Einmal eine "ganz wilde Vermutung" :-D
Das Foto "untitled" mit den Booten L, D, K und R ist vom Februar 1943
Die Buchstaben bezeichnen die Kommandantennamen
L für Ludwig
D für Dau
K für Kaldewey (als einziger bestätigt)
R für Rindfuß

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Thank you Urs,
great information as usually.

Interesting idea about the letters. I am quite sure it is the 2 S-SchulFtl to the left with Kalotte boats numbered 3?, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. The letter boats on the right is 1 S-SchulFtl. I think I have solved the letter/boat numbers based on photos taken in Oslo 1944. I did it some years ago and the S 50-S 109 is probably correct.

Tanga, S 67 and some other SchulFtl boats were photographed in Travemünde. They are in front of Deutsche Kaiser Hotel.

The April 1943 sheets shows that the typ S 18 boat is one of S 19, S 20, S 21, S 22 or S 25. Letters "C" and "E" are known. If they were lettered alphabetically like S 19/C, S 21/E the boat in the photo could be S 20/D but it is only speculation.

The typ S 38/"4" is then one of S 103, S 105, S 107 or S 115. More photos are needed.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 06 Februar 2022, 11:26:45
The typ S 38/"4" is then one of S 103, S 105, S 107 or S 115.
Gibt es eigentlich ein kleines technisches Merkmal, an dem man die Boote der ersten Schlichting-Serie (S 101 ... ) definitiv von den Lürssen-Booten (S 38 ... ) unterscheiden kann ?

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Yes

There are some details that are typical Schlichting.

1. cog wheel on the siren on the roof
2. Reinforced welding on the antenna/Winkerstand tubing.
3. Two full quarter circle tubing on the Winker stand. (Lürssen standard will have one of them 1/8 of a circle)
4. The top of the trough ventilators is horizontal (slanted on Lürssen)

There are probably many more and they varies over time.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola

Gruß, Urs

smutje505

Hallo alo41 eine PK zu #1360 Travemünde links unten in der Mitte Hotel 1956

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung