Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Yes,

The low right Ostpreussenkai must have been taken from exactly the same spot as the "S 67 schul5" photo. The others are from different hotels.

S 67 was also in Stettin based on the photos. I was were lucky to find the spot in another "S 22" album.

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 06 Februar 2022, 15:50:09
S 67 was also in Stettin based on the photos.
Hm ... die Frage ist nur, wann ...

S 67 war als Boot der 5. S-Fltl nach Lebenslauf im November 1944 in Stettin. Aber auf dem Bild gehört das Boot - mit dem Karo/Balken-Wappen - offensichtlich noch zur 2. S-Fltl

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Urs,

Stettin must be between Dec 1942 (extra compass etc.) and July 1943 (Panzerkalotte). I think it is probably sometime in Apri/March 1943 when S 67 was practicing with S-SchulFtl. It fits with the clothes (Gloves, no winter jacket).

There is one photo showing S 67 with the Panzerkalotte on a canal (Rotterdam to Ijmuiden, July 1943?)

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 06 Februar 2022, 20:25:04
I think it is probably sometime in Apri/March 1943 when S 67 was practicing with S-SchulFtl.
Ja.

Zitat von: alo41 am 06 Februar 2022, 20:25:04
photo showing S 67 with the Panzerkalotte on a canal (Rotterdam to Ijmuiden, July 1943?)
Ich frage mich, welche Bedeutung der Eichenlaubkranz um das Karo-Wappen haben könnte.
Eine mögliche (!) Erklärung: Im Januar 1944 machte das Boot (nach KTB) seine 50. Einsatzfahrt.
Also in der Zeit danach ...

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Yes, Urs,

This photo had a text written on it "Unser stolzer Dampfer auf den Rückmarch durch Kanälen".

It would fit 11 March 1944, Amsterdam to Ijmuiden. The weather looks more like March 1944 then July 1943.

Great info!
Alo

alo41

Hi,

There are several S 67 photos from spring 1943. The information in HMA makes it possible to match the dates and locations.

Sassnitz                         11-21 Feb.
Vegesack                        23 Feb.-27 March
Kiel                                27-28 March
Swinemünde/Sassnitz      ....14 April
Kiel                                14-23 April

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

There is a serie of better quality photos of S 67. I think they must have been taken by PK. They are probably showing S 67 in Vegesack Nov. 1942. It looks like they have laid smoke around the boat to hid the coast (or fog?). The PK was there to film Wrampe as he picked up S 86 for the "Asse" film.

It is possible to follow the photographer from front the back of the boat.

The photos are different copies as the seller has probably split the album in two.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 10 Februar 2022, 12:11:00
They are probably showing S 67 in Vegesack Nov. 1942.
Bild 2 : Ist das nicht die erste (Plastik)-Kalotte ?
Die Aufnahme müßte demnach vor Oktober 1942 entstanden sein

Bild 6 : eine mittschiffs eingebaute Waffe ?  Ich habe in meinen Unterlagen bisher nichts darüber gefunden, wann zum ersten Mal eine solche Waffe eingebaut wurde

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Urs,

Yes it is the plastic Kalotte but I think S 67 got the Panzerkalote first in July 1943.

It is difficult to say from photos when the Zwilling MG became standard. It was retrofitted to most of the front line boats in 1943.

MG 34 Zwilling:
S 130 did get it from the start. (S 125 did not).
S 86 did have it and I think that she was the first Lürssen boat built with it. It fits well with S 67 receiving it as a retrofit in Oct./Nov 1942.

Photo of S 86 with FuMG and Zwilling MG

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

Zitat von: alo41 am 10 Februar 2022, 12:11:00
There is a serie of better quality photos of S 67. I think they must have been taken by PK.

I have found another photo from this serie in a Die Kriegsmarine magazine. The photographer was by KB Schreiber

https://www.ea-militaria.com/die-kriegsmarine-zweites-august-1943-magazine.html

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 10 Februar 2022, 18:03:50
MG 34 Zwilling: S 130 did get it from the start. (S 125 did not).
Vermutlich, weil S 124 - 126 an Spanien verkauft wurden

MG 34 Zwilling: S 86 did have it and I think that she was the first Lürssen boat built with it. It fits well with S 67 receiving it as a retrofit in Oct./Nov 1942.
Ja :TU:)

Photo of S 86 with FuMG and Zwilling MG
Sehr interessantes Foto top, mit FuMB an einem Mast (?), so noch nie gesehen

Zitat von: alo41 am 12 Februar 2022, 10:38:19
I have found another photo from this serie in a Die Kriegsmarine magazine. The photographer was by KB Schreiber
https://www.ea-militaria.com/die-kriegsmarine-zweites-august-1943-magazine.html
Ich habe Zweifel, daß das Zymalkowski ist. Die Augenbrauen sind sehr unterschiedlich

Bei den beiden Stabsobermaschinisten mit Deutschem Kreuz in Gold handelt es sich vermutlich um Adolf Miller (S 26) und Rudolf Röhl (S 51), Verleihung am 22.4.1943
(ausführlich in Gerhard Behrens, Die Geschichte der 1. Schnellbootsflottille, Seite 128)

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi Urs,

There is a good photo of the FuMG in Frank, page 151. I think it is the same system in S 67, only not erected. It is a radar (FuMG) and not a radar detector (FuMB) as I understand it.

Yes, the commander is probably Richter and not Zymalkowski. This goes for both the PK series and the photos with the Bordehund.

I tried to figure out the 21 year old commander (1. SFtl, spring 1943) in the Kriegsmarine magazine. I came up with only Silies and Behrens, both borne in 1922 as the only candidates. Behrens book page 80 makes Silies in S 26 the most probable candidate. The boat details indicates a typ S 26 boat. There is a russian DShK MG mounted on the boat. I always thought this was done on S 28 April 1943 but now I think it is S 26. The man with the eye wound is then Miller (compare Behrens page 105 and 128).

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 12 Februar 2022, 15:13:06
It is a radar (FuMG) and not a radar detector (FuMB) as I understand it.
Da gibt es dann eine Differenz betr. jahr und Bootsnummer in Franks Buch

Zitat von: alo41 am 12 Februar 2022, 15:13:06
The man with the eye wound is then Miller (compare Behrens page 105 and 128).
Ich bin mir nicht so sicher.
In Behrens`Buch wird mE derselbe Mann auf Seite 105, 106 und 107 gezeigt und da "Scholz" genannt

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Hi Urs,

I check the FuMG in Trenkle's Die deutschen Funkmessverfahren bis 1945.

One set FuMO 71 Lichtenstein B/C with a fixed antenna was installed on one Sboot.  (Boot S 112, June 1942 in Frank)
Three new sets FuMO 72 Lichtenstein B/C with extractable and rotating antennas were installed on one VPboot and two Sboote. (S 67 and S 86 from the photos). The sets were nicknamed "Seezielgranatensammelkasten" (photo in Frank, p 151 top/left).
Later in 1944/45 came the "Hohentwiel" (Boot S 87, Frank) system and the FuMO 81 Berlin (Boot S 302, Frank).

I rechecked all the details around the boat with the wounded LM. It must be S 26. The story in the magazine fit well with S 26 on 20 May 1943. Air attack, boat damaged, gun jammed( parts of the gun can be seen behind the wounded man on page 105 in Behrens).

There is some confusion regarding the boats for Miller and Röhl. Hümmelchen says Miller S 26 and Röhl S 51. HMA crew list says Miller S 27(boat before S 51) and Röhl S 26. Do anyone know?

I do not understand why the S 26 LM is called Scholz (and not Röhl or Miller) in Behrens. Mixup Scholz/Stolz?

I have added some more S 26 Photos.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Ola,

Zitat von: alo41 am 13 Februar 2022, 14:38:52
Three new sets FuMO 72 Lichtenstein B/C with extractable and rotating antennas were installed on one VPboot and two Sboote. (S 67 and S 86 from the photos).
Werden diese Bootsnummern in der Quelle Trenkle genannt ?

The sets were nicknamed "Seezielgranatensammelkasten" (photo in Frank, p 151 top/left)
Das stammt aus dem Vortrag "Schnellboote und Radarortung" von Kptlt K. Müller im OKM und bezieht sich da nur auf "sein" Boot S 112

There is some confusion regarding the boats for Miller and Röhl. Hümmelchen says Miller S 26 and Röhl S 51. HMA crew list says Miller S 27(boat before S 51) and Röhl S 26. Do anyone know?
Ja, siehe HMA S 27 und Anhang (links oben)
Die Besatzung S 27 (Büchting) übernahm nach dem Verlust S 27 das Boot S 51 in Linz

I do not understand why the S 26 LM is called Scholz (and not Röhl or Miller) in Behrens. Mixup Scholz/Stolz?
Das verstehe / weiß ich auch nicht

I have added some more S 26 Photos.
Danke top

Gruß, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung